This month I decided to focus my hair research on Protein Treatments and Vitamins for the hair. This article is all about the PROTEIN TREATMENTS.
To be honest I'd never heard of a Protein Treatment before reading 'Grow It' by Chicoro. She gives some good info and advice on Protein Treatments.
I've continued to do a little research online, at the end of this article I've listed a few protein treatments as well as a few links that have more interesting info.
(N.B: I have NOT tried all of the protein treatments listed.)
WHAT IS A PROTEIN TREATMENT?
- A Protein Treatment is a treatment you give to the hair to Strengthen it. It's an important part of looking after the hair externally.
- Ingredients generally include a number of different Proteins, sometimes reffered to as Amino Acids, usually in high quantities (find my list of key proteins below.)
- However as Chicoro points out, the products that perform the treatment aren't always labeled Protein Treatment, so it's best to look out for words like 'Strengthener', 'Reconstruct', 'Rebuilder' and check the ingredients.
- There are various types of Protein Treatments and although not officially classed as such, I would say they tend to fit into one of 3 categories:
- Natural/ Home Made PTs
- Light PTs
- Intense/ Strong PTs.
These are explored in a little more detail later in this post.
HOW DO PROTEIN TREATMENTS WORK?
Proteins Attatch to damaged parts of the hair shaft and create the effect of rebuilding the shaft's structure. However it should be noted that damaged hair CAN NOT be repaired. That's why protein treatments are important because they temporarily help strengthen and thus protect the hair shaft.
You can find more info on this in Chicoro's book or thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com where I found this diagram which explains how the protein treatments work:
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU DO A PROTEIN TREATMENT?
This varies depending on the strength of the product and the condition of your hair. For most Average strength or Light Protein Treatments the general advice seems to be do one PT aprx every 2 - 3 weeks.
It's also Very IMPORTANT NOT to do TOO MANY Protein Treatments as too much protein can make the hair dry and lead to breakage.
Counter this with Conditioner!
WHAT TYPES OF PROTEIN TREATMENTS ARE THERE?As I said there doesn't seem to be any offical categorisations for PTs but they tend to fall under one of the following 3:
- NATURAL/ HOMEMADE Protein Treatments:
The website hairfinity.com states that "egg treatments are effective protein treatment for black hair and usually stops breakage immediately." They suggest Adding an Egg to your favourite conditioner.
Alternatively on her blog newlynatural.com you can find a recommended recipe for a completely homemade protein trreatment including:
2 cups of full fat, Plain Yogurt
1/2 cup regular Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Honey
1/4 cup extra virgin OliveOil
Check the link for further details: newlynatural.com
Another Natural PTs that came up in my research was: MOP (Modern Organic Products) Extreme Protein. Check out this blog for a review: productjunkiediva
Aubrey Organics GPB
- LIGHT/ MODERATE Protein Treatments:
There's loads of Light PTs that came up in my research so here's a few.....
- Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Deep Penetrating Reconstructor
- Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Liquid Reconstructor (apparently a little lighter than Deep Penetrating)
- Aphogee Keratin 2 Min Reconstructor
- Nexxus Keraphix
Organic Root Stimulator Mayonnaise
- Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein
- Aveda Damage Remedy
- Protein Rx Reparative Treatment Mask by Frederic Fekkai
- Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack
- Keratase Ciment Anti-Usure
- Essentious Rejuvenate Strengthening Protein
- Mizani Kerafuse Intensive Strengthening Treatment
- Motions CPR
- STRONG/ INTENSE Protein Treatments:
Some articles I've read such as on stylehairmagazine.com disagree with Chicoro and strongly advise Against using Intense PTs on healthy hair.
I'd say be your own judge!
Generally the info I've come across seems to suggest that Strong PTs should ONLY be used every 6-8 Weeks!!
- Nexxus Emergencee
- Hair Rescue Keratin Reconstructor
- Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment
...One of the most Helpful things I found was 'A GUIDE TO PROTEIN' posted by Leentora on Blackhairplanet.com. Here's my brief breakdown of the info she posts.
(click the link for her more detailed post, and the discussion forum: Blackhairplanet.com)
Protein --- Qualities
Collagen --- Elasticity
Silk --- Softening/ strongest natural fibre/ deepest penetrating
Wheat --- Moisturising & Strengthening
Keratin --- Restuctures
Vegetable --- Adds Shine
Animal --- Breaksdown easily
Hydrolyzed Proteins --- This basically means that the proteins have been broken down into small enough molecules to penetrate the hair.
Conclusions:I hope this helps you. I decided I was gona try the Aphogee 2 Step Protein Treatment. I'll post the results later.
Also I came across a lot of other interesting info in my research that I'll have to look into further including Garlic Treatments, Ayuervedic Hair Care and a high protein product called MegaTek....
Aaahhh The Quest for Natural Knowledge and Healthy Hair and continues....
Thanks to all those people sharing info online.
Featured web pages:hairfinity.com
Other pages with interesting info on Protein Treatments: