Home » , , , , , » Natural Hair Encouragement vs Discouragement

Natural Hair Encouragement vs Discouragement

Written By Unknown on Thursday 10 November 2011 | 02:24

NATURAL HAIR
ENCOURAGEMENT
V.S
DISCOURAGEMENT

A friend of mine who recently removed her braids is newly discovering how to take care of her hair. She saw a photo on the Crystal Afro Facebook Page that inspired her and asked me how she could achieve a curly look to wear for a big event she had coming up.
Eco Styler & Kinky Curly
I suggested she try a Twist-out and posted up a few tutorials on the page. I also lent her a choice of gels to try twisting with - either Eco Styler Gel or Kinky Curly Curling Custard.
She tried the Twistout and at first wasn't convinced by her end result. I think this was mainly because it was so different to what she was used to. But she set her mind to positive thinking mode, a mode I think many newly naturals can identify with, you know that moment where you think "like it or not this is my hair, and I might not be used to it, but Im sticking with it!" and off she went.
Because I know what courage it can take to step out when your just getting used to your natural hair, I was particularly pissed off when she told me that the response from one of her work collegues was

"Why have you got a birds nest on your head?"
or words to that effect.

HOW RUDE!! I was so mad when I heard this, but my friend said she simply didnt bother to respond to her collegue's foolishness.

Is it strange that the person who made this comment happened to be another Black female?
  • Is it strange that her other work collegues of varing race (including White and Asian) had only good things to say?
  • Or is this scenario - where Black women perceive natural hair as a hot mess, while individuals of other races seem to actually like it - actually strangely common?
If you've read my early posts you'll know I've had my own similar situations.
Why do you think this ?

Anyway here's my friend rocking her twistout at her event. I had to share this with you because I think she looks Absolutely Gorgeous!! (Im sure you'll agree. I'm so proud.)




The event was a talent showcase at Stratford Circus, and went really well.
As predicted by my friend, my favourite act were Silhouettez In The Dark. They're a theatre group who's performance addressed issues of identity and touched on the subject of hair.



You can find out more about Silhouettez In The Dark here.

P.S Wud Luv U 2 Subscribe x
Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. brendonoconnell