International Women's Day

Written By Unknown on Thursday 8 March 2012 | 07:59

HAPPY
INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY
#TEAMNATURAL

Happy International Women's Day #Teamnatural!
I was totally amazed when I went on Twitter this week and discovered that this Blog has been recommended on the Black Girl with Long Hair site alongside a list of many other natural hair blogs from around the world.
The list is well worth checking  out so take a minute to view it here:
Black Girl with Long Hair International Blog List

Today I've been Tweeting and getting tweets from some of my #Teamnatural followers around the world, some as far as Japan, so throughout this month I'd be interested to find out who are some of your #NaturalHair Heroines from your HERitage?

Last Sunday I was up very early to attend a short talk on Caribbean Women and history, in honour of it being Women's Month, and although I had to leave early to get to work, I was excited to find out about some extraordinary female achievers, one of whom -Una Marson - I've posted about below.

Because my family is from the Caribbean I have a particular interest in learning as much as can, (particularly about Jamaica & Cuba), but this month in I plan to focus on learning as much as can about some great women from around the globe.

Although International Women's Day is a day to celebrate the progress made by women, it's also a time to consider the struggles faced by the women before us and the struggles still faced by many women now. 
Who Are Some of Your #NaturalHair Heroines from your HERitage?

Una Marson
Una Marson
Una Marson:
Jamaican feminist, activist and writer, producing poems, plays and programmes for the BBC. Marson travelled to London in 1932 and worked for the BBC during World War II.
Her poem Kinky Hair Blues addressing of natural hair still bares a lot significance today.

Kinky Hair Blues
Poem by Una Marson

Gwine find a beauty shop Cause I ain't a belle.
Gwine find a beauty shop Cause I ain't a lovely belle.
The boys pass me by,
They say I's not so swell.

See oder young gals

So slick and smart.
See dose oder young gals
So slick and smart.
I jes gwine die on de shelf
If I don't mek a start.

I hate dat ironed hair

And dat bleaching skin.
Hate dat ironed hair
And dat bleaching skin.
But I'll be all alone
If I don't fall in.

Lord 'tis you did gie me

All dis kinky hair.
'Tis you did gie me
All dis kinky hair,
And I don't envy gals
What got dose locks so fair.

I like me black face

And me kinky hair.
I like me black face
And me kinky hair.
But nobody loves dem,
I jes don't tink it's fair.

Now I's gwine press me hair And bleach me skin.

I's gwine press me hair
And bleach me skin.
What won't a gal do
Some kind of man to win.



Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. brendonoconnell