Afro vs Weave on BBC3

Written By Unknown on Sunday 25 November 2012 | 02:00

AFRO vs WEAVE
on BBC's PRESSURE TO BE PERFECT

I was completely unaware of the BBC's Free Speech: Pressure To Be Perfect series, until my girl Louisa aka @Afroblush on Twitter (check out the blog >here<) was featured in the clip below, proudly discussing the subject of natural hair.

It's a short clip but I found it interesting to hear what both Louisa and Remel - a proud weave wearer, had to say because in all honesty, I could identify with both ladies. It was almost like listening to myself in the past vs myself in the present.
 ------------------------------------------------------




Up until a few years ago I would avoid being seen without my weave because I didn't feel like "myself". In my opinion, me without my weave was a far cry from my definition of beauty. My thoughts and opinions of my natural hair, and my definitions of beauty have since come under a lot of self-scrutiny, and have thankfully changed as a result. 

There are so many things that could be said about this short clip (01:52secs) and the thoughts and opinions of both ladies featured, and although Louisa had much more to say than was shown, I feel as though she pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject of my hair.

Despite my bias towards Louisa's opinions, I'm by no means against weaves. 
I have complete respect for Remel and her honesty, because she also spoke from the heart and I completely identified with her experiences, as I know many other Black women do. None the less, it's precisely because of those false images of myself, homogeneous definitions of beauty and the realisation of the danger they pose to Black women of the future as well as the present, that I decided my relationship with my hair had to change.

Signed
Crystal Afro (Ex-Weave-wearer)
xoxo






Share this article :
 
Support : Copyright © 2014. brendonoconnell